Monday, July 14, 2014

Naples, Florida 9 Ball tournament Circa:2009- RICKY BINGHAM

This was an old story that I cranked out rather quickly when I used to post on the newsgroup rec.sport.billiard.   I thought some of you might enjoy it but the truth is that I like to give honor to those who have shown it and this is really all about Ricky Bingham.


It is lunch time here in New Orleans so I am taking a few minutes to crank
out some copy.  I have read many of your posts and want to thank you for
your support.
It was apparent that there were forces at work other than my own that kept
me alive in this very fine tournament.
There were lots of good players as the brackets at www.azbilliards
indicates.
FTR, Andy Tennent did NOT beat Buddy Hall.  Buddy Hall forfeited his match
due to an allergy illness.  He was feeling poorly when he played Grady
Mathews who played well most of the tournament.  Grady thrashed several
opponents.
Most of my matches were either hill-hill or so close to it that the
difference is hardly worth mentioning.
The first important note that I would like to make is my match with Ricky
Bingham, from Kentucky (a coal miner and pool room owner.)
RICKY BINGHAM from Kentucky IS A FIRST CLASS GUY!
Besides being just a naturally friendly guy, he showed what class is all
about.  While he and I were struggling to get our game together, I dogged my
first nine ball on a shot that anyone could make 9 out of ten times.  It
hung up in the hole and I didn't want him to have to make the effort to make
the shot which as I said, was hanging in the hole.  I pushed it in not
because I was angry (although I was very disappointed with my lack of effort
on the shot) but because I was frustrated with my effort.  It's hard to give
100 % effort on every shot but that is exactly what is required if you want
consistent play (even the easy ones).  I smiled and told him "You don't have
to shoot that one" and I pushed it in. He walked over close to where I stood
and whispered, "You do know about the rule: If you don't allow your opponent
to finish the game, you forfeit that game PLUS ONE MORE GAME, don't you?  I
said no and he quickly said that he wasn't telling the tournament director
about this faux pas and we continued on with our match which was a tough and
grueling one.  We traded game for game all the way to 10-9 with each of
sharing the lead and I hung up ANOTHER nine ball on a relatively easy shot.
He won that game plus the last game to beat me 11-10.
Rick Bingham is what class is all about.  He knew like I did that any player
in this tournament could win a match against any other player.  It is not
like gambling where when you have a bad match, you just reach in your pocket
for some more money to continue the play.  When you lose to your opponent
you can't buy back in and you don't get a chance to stay in the winner's
bracket.  The rule is the rule and my plane was late getting into Naples, FL
so I missed out on hearing some of the rules which this was one of them.  I
doubt if Ricky even knew when I arrived as I was just one of 75 players
coming there to test their mettle.
And just so you know, Rick is a very competitive player.  You can ask any of
the people who felt his fire.   But what he will be most remembered by me,
is a MAN OF MOST EXCELLENT CLASS.
Rick was my third match.  I was one of about eight people (out of 75 or so)
who did not get a bye in the first round.
But before I go back to work, let me tell you that the Seminole Indian Tribe
put up some very big bucks for this tournament and they plan to have another
one next year also in Naples.  It will probably either be at the Ritz
Carlton Hotel or at the Seminole Indian Tribe's new hotel in Naples (soon to
be built).  It was a success by every comments.  There was local news
coverage as well as INSIDE POOL MAGAZINE, photographer and writer Paul XXX
(I forget his last name but only spoke to him briefly.)  You might see some
great photos in Inside Pool Mag because there were certainly lots of great
matches.
Everyone there loves the game and some couldn't run a rack but put up their
entry fee anyway just for the chance to compete against some of the world's
best pool players.  They too earned my respect and appreciation.
I got a chance to meet the Seminole Indian Tribe's liaison or perhaps public
relations manager, O.B. Osceola, a sharp and personable young man who also
shares a passion for the game.  There were many other Seminole Indians in
attendance as well as some their sponsored players...
Some more tomorrow as I clear out some paperwork.  Thank God I have a job
and family to come back to.
JoeyA

No comments: